Empathic listening is a powerful tool that helps you grow into a more compassionate and caring person. You can support someone in turmoil by listening empathically, creating a safe space in which that person discovers clarity, and tools for resolution, through talking.
- Take the time – empathic listening means giving someone the time to articulate difficult feelings.
- Keep the focus on the speaker – empathic listening requires joining the other person in his experience, rather than sharing stories of your own.
- Be present – turn your phone off, turn toward the speaker, and focus only on what is said.
- Pose open-ended questions – ask questions that enable thoughtful consideration.
- Avoid offering solutions – honor the speaker’s process above rapid resolution.
Read the full article here: Empathic Listening: 8 Strategies For Compassionate Communication